A Best Of The Web Blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dragged Kicking & Screaming Towards Doing The Right Thing

So my sister-in-law, Kelly, like me, doesn't have a landline, and like me, lives in California, not a battleground state, so she, like me, hasn't been getting robocalls. She did, however, this week get a call on her cell phone from the No On Proposition 8 (for those of you out of state, and even some of those of you in state, "No" means you're for gay marriage, and you're saying "No" to no gay marriage, and "Yes" means you're against gay marriage, and you're saying "Yes" to no gay marriages) and she told the caller to go on, that if this were a different issue, she'd be pissed about them calling on the cell phone. So she talks to them, and ends up volunteering to do some phone calls of her own.

And now she's going to UCLA on Saturday for an information session where they prep you to take a shift outside one of the polls during election day, clarifying Prop 8 to people. She asked if Ian and I want to do it too.

Short answer is: no, not really. I've given money to the Human Rights Campaign for the fight, and towards the No On Proposition 8 group specifically. I'm not rich, but I have more money than time. At least that's what my initial reaction was, until I started thinking about it. One shift on election day on an issue that's important and relevant to me. Kelly has a busy life too, but she's managed to find time to fight for my rights.

So, grudgingly, I'm tagging along it seems.

Guilt: a positive motivator.