A Best Of The Web Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

His Name is Michael

I’m still not going to include any photos of “Baby M” on this website, because a) I’m not sure how I feel about breaching the privacy of a minor like that, and b) it’s against the rules of our foster care agency, and we could lose him as a result. Probably B is more to the point.

Anyhow, Ian and I decided that it was okay to do away with this “Baby M” stuff, and give his name. It’s Michael. Mikey, we call him. Coincidentally, that’s the same as my little brother and occasional writing partner. I can say that I spent the first 20 years of my life saying, “Mikey, do what I say!” and then took 20 years off, and am now prepared to say “Mikey, do what I say!” for another 20 years (at least).

Now what I have to find is the old toy we used to have which played:

My name is Michael
I got a nickel
I got a nickel, shiny and new
I’m gonna buy me all kinds of candy
That’s what I’m gonna do.

I’ve begun looking for a nanny/baby-sitter/au pair at least part time, and it’s funny how many enthusiastic folk blow you off rather than even showing up for the first interview. We’re relying on recommendations first, but we’re also looking at an agency. I signed up on GreatAuPairs.com, and the first response I got was from a man in China who wants to come out and live with us. We’ll have to think about that one.

Check out my partner Ian’s blog about feeding Mikey, the Sprog at http://www.tastebudding.blogspot.com/

No comments: