A Best Of The Web Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Close Call and Call Waiting

Another near miss with getting a baby. I was on the phone having a business call, and Ian was in a meeting as well, and when we got off, we both had voicemails telling us to call our social worker right away. I got to them first, and was told about a two-day-old baby boy, born positive for cocaine, but with no medical issues. His mother was incarcerated, his father was unknown. This was an emergency placement where someone needed to pick him up right away.

We were second on the list, and the people ahead of us were supposed to be calling back in 5 or 10 minutes to give a definite yes or no. 5 or 10 minutes turned into 30, and I impatiently called back, and was told our social worker was on the phone with them and would call me back. Another half an hour, and she called to tell me that they had decided to say yes.

In the meantime, I had straightened up the nursery, and Ian and I separately had gotten our hopes up. It made the frustration more painful when it didn’t happen, but the truth is that it was just bad luck. No one at fault. We hope he ended up in a good family.

And we hope the next one will be ours.

If I’m on the phone with you, please understand if I have to hang up if another call comes through. Heh heh heh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ted and Ian, you certainly have patience to get all these alarms and then have the letdown of not getting the child. We hope things will go your way soon.

Tom and Katie